GI EMR DISCUSSION . COM

Windows 8 Surface Pro Tablet

Greetings! I recently had the chance to test out a Microsoft Surface Pro tablet for use with gMed.
Here is what I found and maybe it will be helpful when looking into this as an option at your practice.

Pros:
-A lot easier to carry around than a laptop and weights less
-In portrait mode the tablet displays the chart easily with the side controls hidden, Had to adjust the IE zoom levels depending on how many things were open.
-Pinch Zoom works! Ever had a Faxed record and had difficulty reading a part of it? Pinch to Zoom can quickly correct this issue.
-Windows 8 ability to track what your actually clicking on with your finger is very good.
-Looks futuristic and cool to patients.

Cons:
-Navigation through gMed with only the touch screen is impossible.
-Double tapping a visit will provide you with a double tap zoom rather than input a double click and open the visit.
-With only touch screen you cannot bring up the side bar to select your next patient.
These three above issues were resolved by attaching a wireless mouse that the provider would keep at his desk and pull up his next patient prior to going into the room. Or by using the included stylus.
-Scroll up and down motions work on only some parts of gMed and surprisingly enough not on the visit report. You can still click the up and down arrows on the right hand side to navigate the visit.
-Screen size would make it difficult to put orders in while still looking at the full chart but it can be done :)

Other None tested uses:
-Ribbons, While I didn't get a chance to test the tablet with these I could see how easy it would be to populate any ribbons that just require a selection through the touch screen.

So in conclusion I wouldn't recommend replacing your workstation with a tablet as its only a more mobile extension in the goal of patient care, Although the application is available to replace walking into the room with the old clipboard and paper approach.

I was not limited to only gMed when I tested a few things on the Surface, But I will leave that information out of this write up and if anyone has questions please feel free to reply and I can try to assist as much as possible.

GI EMR DISCUSSION . COM